A great reminder about how to protect yourself from a dead heart.
It is reported that Ibrahim bin Adham – Allâh have mercy on him – once passed through the market of Basrah. People gathered around him and asked:
O Abû Ishâq, Allâh the Exalted says in his Book. ‘Call on me, I will answer your prayers’, but we have been calling on Him for a long time and He does not answer our prayers. [Ibrahim] replied, “O people of Basrah, your hearts have died in respect to ten things:
- First, you know Allâh but you do not give Him His rights;
- second, you have read Allâh’s Book but you do not act by it;
- third, you claim to love Allâh’s Messenger – Allâh’s peace and blessings be upon him – yet you abandon his Sunnah;
- fourth, you claim to be enemies to Shaytân but you conform to [his ways];
- fifth, you say you love Paradise yet you do not work for it;
- sixth, you say you fear The Fire yet you put yourselves closer to it [by sinning];
- seventh, you say death is true but you do not prepare for it;
- eighth, you busy yourselves with the faults of others and disregard your own;
- ninth, you consume the favors of your Lord but are not grateful for them;
- and tenth, you bury your dead but take no lesson from them.”
Source: Abû Nu’aym, Hilyah Al-Awliyâ’ 8: 15, 16.